The former Car Garage is located in Downton, a thriving village approximately 7 miles south of Salisbury. Constructed around 1850 the building was used as a church and a school before becoming a garage from 1924 until 2014. Though not listed itself, the building is within the Downton conservation area and has a number of listed buildings located around the site.
Planning was gained in 2015 to convert the old garage into a 2 bedroom detached dwelling with integrated parking. Care was taken in the design to ensure the character of the original building and its history was retained.
The main aspect from the existing building is to the south looking onto the lane and Radnor House. The building is surrounded on all other aspects by existing dwellings creating potential overlooking and maintenance challenges. To overcome this the vertical circulation and the service elements, the kitchen and bathroom, have been kept to the rear of the building, with all the bedrooms and living spaces receiving an aspect and natural light.
With inspiration taken from barn conversion aesthetics, a second living area is located on the first floor with a void space looking down into the ground floor. This takes advantage of the light filled spaces and makes a feature of the vaulted
ceilings on the first floor.